Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Where did Customer Service go?

Have you seen the DHL commercials about customer service? It's pretty funny but so true. It's amazing to me how companies survive treating their customers the way they do. Do they not realize that we can take our business elsewhere?

Isn't it funny when you call a customer service department and you get a recording, "Your call is important to, please continue to hold." And then you hold for who knows how long.

Clark Howard says, "customer no service!" Isn't that the truth.

I recently had a bad experience with a customer service department with one of my vendors. Can you believe they told me that it wasn't their problem that my order was wrong? Well, excuse me. They even told me they don't accept returns. Then can someone please explain to me why I have this yellow paper in my shipment that says I have 30 days to return my items?

If there is one thing that people will get at my shop is attentive, friendly, helpful service. Why? Because I respect my customers. I make it a point to greet every customer who comes in our shop. I follow by asking if there is anything special they are looking for. We strive to satisfy our customers. I have a policy that if my customer is looking for something I don't have, I will do my best to get it for them. My return policy is clearly posted and very easy to understand.

There are 3 things to help yourself get treated right:

  1. Complain - either write a letter, call or send an email to the manager or owner
  2. Be nice yourself - how will it look if you are raising your fists and raising your voice. Sometimes we, the customers, are not always right.
  3. Take your business somewhere else - You have so many choices where to shop. Why give a company your money who isn't taking your business seriously.

2 comments:

  1. So right. I think you should send a copy of the 30 day return notice to the president of the company, along with a letter. They may have changed their policy, but they need to make sure all their correspondences reflect the change of policy. You'd be doing them a favor, though...and maybe we don't want to do that! LOL

    One of my 'favorite' customer service situations is when I return something and the employee gives me a hard time about it. I stick to my claim and they usually end up giving in and giving me my money back in the end. So I wonder, if you're the company and you're going to end up giving back the money anyway, why give the customer grief about it? Because I end up with the money AND I vow never to do business with them again. If they'd just nicely refund my money, I'd be back for more purchases. Wal-Mart gave me a hard time over a moldy loaf of bread that I had bought just ONE day before! Over $2, which they finally returned, they lost a customer. I don't buy any groceries at WalMart anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considered one of my 'favorite' customer service situations is when My spouse and i return something and the employee gives me a difficult time about it. I stick to my claim and they usually turn out giving in and giving me my money back eventually. So I wonder, if you're the company and you'll end up giving back the money anyway, why provide customer grief about it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting a comment!